YouTube. A dangerous chasm in which to be sucked into. Sometimes useful or inspirational, though. In my most recent trip into it’s ‘language learning’ section, I found it to be all of these things and now find myself set for a difficult challenge.
One YouTuber who talks about learning languages, the techniques you can use and which apps are better than the rest suggested a ‘working week’ of language learning. He’s doing it with Swedish. And so I’m going to do it with Spanish.
Here are the rules:
- You can spend the whole week completing the challenge (Monday-Sunday and all hours of the day, not just 9am-5pm)
- A working week here is defined as 36 hours (This YouTuber is from a different country where they work less than in the UK)
- All the time you spend deliberately working towards learning the languages counts
- This includes listening to podcasts, reading articles or books etc.
- But ‘passive learning’ (i.e. listening to a Spanish podcast while you’re on a run or doing the dishes) can only count for a maximum of 8 hours of the total time (just over an hour each day)
- You have to use a variety of techniques
And that’s it. So that’s what I’ll be doing this week. To keep me accountable, I’ve told anyone who’s reading this. And every day, I’ll write something in Spanish and stick it up on here.
Let’s see how this goes…